Friday, February 20, 2009

Stepped on Treadmill at 10:00 PM

Nike+: 7.03 @ 59:40 (8:29/mile) - Anytime Fitness
Weight: 174.4 (before) and 171.8 (after)
Today, Wednesday, was busier than I would have liked. I've been busy posting pictures on the Mizzou Live Wire Blog for the past few days. It feels good to get my stuff out there, though. From the Beauty & the Beast event on Friday night, to basketball against Nebraska on Saturday to wrestling against Iowa State on Sunday, I'd say I had a good weekend of shooting.
Anyway, I decided to photograph Ishmael Beah and his mother Laura Simms tonight when they spoke at Jesse Hall at 7 p.m. Ishmael wrote a book called A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier and was adopted by a woman in New York after he survived the war in Sierra Leone. This is someone who killed people at the age of approximately 13 years old. His book has sold more than 600,000 copies - slightly more than the Arrow Rock book I worked on that has sold a few hundred copies. That was a joke. Before the venue began, I had an opportunity to meet Ishmael and his mom behind stage. There was talk that they might be interested in a formal portrait, but due to their busy schedule this week, an opportunity didn't surface. Ishmael was so tired on Friday that he went to his hotel to rest and even cancelled an event.
To be honest, I can't say I learned much from Ishmael's presentations. Perhaps this is because I was taking pictures and not actually actively listening. Ironically, I did hear him say that listening is just as important as speaking. Ishmael did not talk about being a boy soldier. Instead, he concentrated on the idea of 'storytelling.' If nothing else, I do believe that everyone has a story to tell. It's just a matter of telling it.
Because I didn't go home after work, but stayed to photograph Ishmael and Laura, I ran after their presentation. This meant that I stepped on the treadmill when the 10 o'clock news began. I started out relatively slow and sped up as I felt better. There were parts of this run when I just wanted to stop and go home. But I kept going and eventually finished at 11 o'clock.
It was a long day, but I'm glad I didn't postpone the run. After a hot shower, I slept well.
Between work and the presentation, I hung out with Posscoon and reviewed his photography portfolio. The dude is a very solid shooter with an eye for grit. It's funny that he wants to take pictures of clouds and rainbows. I think he's best when doing the opposite. But wtf do I know? I'm just glad he showed me his stuff. POY is the season and Posscoon is gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment