Thursday, February 5, 2009

Why Run?

Anytime Fitness - treadmill
Nike+: 6.01 @ 52:50 (8:46/mile)
Weight: 173.8 (before) - 170.8 (after)
I intended to run outside today, but b/c I didn't leave work until 6 p.m., I decided to run on the treadmill. I just wasn't up for a cold run in the dark, I guess.
I really don't believe that treadmills are an accurate measure of my effort. I think it's far easier to run outside but I'm not sure why. Although I ran an 8:46/mile, I felt like I was running much faster (I did, in fact, speed up as the run progressed).
As I ran, I imagined myself on the 6-miler that starts at Forum/MKT and continues to Stadium, Providence, Green Meadows and then Forum. Not sure if the imagery helped, but it gave me something to think about.
Training at this point is starting to get a little annoying and a little boring. It's weird to be out there running (whether on a treadmill or the MKT or the streets). It's just me and my thoughts. Running and running and running. I really honor those who do this kind of thing all the time - habitual marathoners. It's not easy or even fun. I wonder why people do it? Maybe I'll try to come up w/ an answer during my next few runs.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh,

    That's just the hamster wheel talking. Get out on the streets. Let them talk to you. Let them embrace you. And you do the same.

    -Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Why run?" Sounds like something to expound upon. Hrm.

    ReplyDelete