Sunday, January 4, 2009

Great Day for a Run


Until my former blog makes it through the sensors and re-publishes, I have decided to start a new space to post running entries.  And this is it.
Yesterday was Saturday, January 3rd, and I ran 5 miles as part of Hal Higdon's Marathon Novice Training Program.  Jason and Nic joined me for the same route.  Mary ran a different route and completed 6 miles.  This completes my third week of training.
I'm not exactly sure what the temperature was, but I saw on the news last nite that the high in Columbia was 68.  I can't believe it was so warm this time of year.  I ran in shorts w/o a shirt and was still toasty.
We began at the MKT/Forum trailhead at 3 p.m. and ran west.  Jason and Nic ran ahead of me.  The trip continued to Scott Blvd. where we headed south to Nifong and then back east along Nifong to Country Wood Road at the top of a hill.  Country Wood Road took us back to the trail where my watch noted that I had completed 4.3 miles.  I ran to the original starting point and completed 5.3 miles in 44:07 which is a 8:18/mile.  My legs felt pretty good, but I was definitely tired and ready to stop.  Jason and Nic took one wrong turn on Nifong that included a quick neighborhood romp, but then were back on track.  They finished ahead of me.
Difficulties on this run included running up the Nifong hill and running down a hill on Country Wood Road.  While running downhill, I was a little worried about my knees, but tried to just let my legs go.  There were some loose pebbles and falling was a concern.  Fortunately, I arrived safely at the bottom.
There were lots of people on the trail - a consequence of the warm weather, I'm sure.   

No comments:

Post a Comment