Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blood & Sweat but No Tears


I'm not exactly sure what caused the outside area of my right ankle (pictured sock is inside out) to bleed, but I think it was the pant-leg zipper on my tights.

Nike+: 3.07 @ 25:16 (8:13/mile)
Weather: about 35 degrees
This was a nice run from the house and along Broadway to Fairview. It was great to start while the streets were still naturally lit. When I was returning, and heading west on Broadway, I could see the sun's rays still alive in the distance. There were many colors to be seen. Yellow, round headlights, green, red and yellow stoplights, red neon from Hy-Vee's sign. But the most impressive sight was the remaining residue of what was once the sun. It was gone, but still there. A reminder of its ability to keep shining, despite an inevitable evening of darkness to come. The sun gave up slowly, but with grace. Diffused red, orange, yellow and then matted black. Any pain I felt on this run, and there was some, reminded me that I'm alive and running toward, not away, from an inviting fire.
Here's the alternative:

Inside the abandoned Roosevelt Warehouse in Detroit, a body lies frozen in a block of ice. (Max Ortiz / The Detroit News)

1 comment:

  1. "Running toward an inviting fire"

    Sometimes, that fire is within.

    ReplyDelete