Friday, January 16, 2009

Connect


Mr. G

Yesterday, Thursday, a plane crashed into the Hudson River. All 155 passengers survived. The media is calling it "Miracle on the Hudson." The cause was most likely a flock of birds that flew into the engines.
The passengers on US Airways Flight 1549 had about a minute to think about the fact that they were going to crash. The Today Show interviewed a few of those survivors this morning. One of them said that when she prepared for the crash, she held the hand of a passenger next to her - a stranger. Prayers could be heard throughout the plane. In a moment of pending death, I have no idea what I would do. But I like that strangers held hands. We all have a will to survive and a will to connect. In the words of Mr. G, my brother warrior and a Bengal tiger, "My mission is to connect."
When I was finishing my walk this morning with Sly, I saw the same woman I saw yesterday who was smoking a cigarette in her backyard. She waved at me and I waved back. We all share addictions.
My mom called last night and told me that I probably shouldn't walk in the morning w/ Sly when it's so cold - might get frostbite on my face. When the passengers on Flight 1549 landed in the Hudson yesterday, the temperature was 21 degrees and the water temperature was about 32 degrees. When I woke up this morning, I knew it was -5 outside. I wore two scarfs.

Thursday Run: Nike+: 3.0 @26:26 (8:47/mile)
Again, the cold weather kept me inside. I ran on the treadmill at Anytime Fitness after work.
Weight: 176.4 (before), 175.0 (after)

No comments:

Post a Comment