Thursday, January 15, 2009

Round and Round (Remember RATT)

Nike+: 5.02 @ 42:39 (8:29/mile)
Due to the cold weather, I opted to do this one inside. Yea, I ran outside on Tuesday night and froze my goods, but Wednesday was worse. The wind was for real. Jason secured me a guest pass to MU's rec. center, so we drove over there after work and met up with Nic for some 5 mile action. The track is 1/6 of a mile so I had to do about 30 laps; I didn't even try to keep track of the number. Instead, I just watched my Nike+ watch for distance. In the end, my watch read 4.95 at the end of the run. I ran an addt'l 1/2 lap to meet my goal. Jason and Nic finished ahead of me (Nic started before we arrived b/c he's too good to wait on us) and although he was finished, Jason joined me for a couple of laps at the end. I ran mostly on the outside lane although sometimes I cut into the second lane. The graduated corners were somewhat of a pain. Lots of people were running and all 3 of us had to do some dodging. For the last couple of miles, I followed a bigger guy and paced off of him. I passed him on my last lap to make myself feel better.
Can't say I really enjoyed this run as much as an outside one, but it wasn't too bad, either. My legs tightened up a little after I finished and they're still tight this morning. I stretched out last nite and Mary taught me a yoga move for my upper thighs.
This morning, Sly and I left the house at 6:50 for a walk. Almost frozen, we finished about 25 minutes later. I heard on the radio that the wind chill in Columbia was -19 windchill. Yes, that's negative. My glasses were fogged up pretty good and my right cheek was so cold it hurt, but Sly didn't seem to mind. He just kept sniffing and sniffing. I don't know how those kids stand outside on a morning like this and wait for the bus. I also saw a woman standing outside of her house in the backyard smoking a cigarette. I guess she's not allowed to smoke inside. Hope I never get that addicted.
Did some reading last nite in Hal Higdon's marathon book. He wrote about over-training and how it often leads to injuries. My number one hope for the run is to remain healthy and to show-up in good shape. There are so many possibilities for injuries. One thing I always remember when I'm training is: respect the distance.
A nice consequence of training with two other people is the liability to each other. After his rental car broke down on Tuesday while he was driving around northwest Missouri, Nic went out and ran on the MU track at 11 p.m. That's some solid shit. He said the run was a good de-stresser. I think that's partly why all 3 of us are enjoying the journey thus far.
Weight: 177.2 before, 174.2 after (scale at Rec. Center)

1 comment: