Saturday, January 31, 2009

Easley Peasley


Dark Horse, Posscoon and Running Deer (post-run)


Note the sign on the right and its notation of the pending decline (or incline in our case). Welcome to Easley Hill.


Big Muddy - the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega.


This picture was taken soon after I finished. I drank the contents of that yellow bottle quickly.


I wish I would have had a motorcycle, too.


Nike+: 12.24 miles @ 1:52:36 (9:10/mile)
Weather: about 50 degrees
Gear: I wore shorts and my black/red long sleeve top and my St.Louis 1/2 Marathon hat. I didn't remove any gear.

There are a lot of things I could write about this run. We started at Cooper's Landing and after a mile on the trail, in sight of the Big Muddy directly to our right, we meandered north up Easley Hill. We encountered a variety of farm animals, not excluding loose dogs on our heels. The smell of cow chips evidenced our arrival and 12-mile journey throughout rural Missouri. Somewhere along the line, I even managed to get lost and at the 12.24 mark on my Nike+ odometer, I stopped to walk the remaining distance (we only intended to run 12 miles). But none of those things will remain in our memory banks as long as the hills. The uphill battles were more than any of us expected and toward the end, my mood vacillated from humor to anger. We drank no water until the end.

Much thanks to Jason and Nic for waiting on me to finish and sharing their food. I deeply appreciate your patience.

In the words of Dark Horse, today's run was the "Hardest and most rewarding physical experience of my life today."

I don't know if I can say the same, but at the moment, I can't think of anything to top it.

1 comment:

  1. That run was a beast, bro! I'm still in awe of what we did yesterday. Really invigorated me.

    Keep popping the ibuprofens.

    ReplyDelete