Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Slipping and Sliding


I bought this album (tape version) with my buddy Troy at Wal-Mart in Moberly when I was in high school. Read on for its significance on this run.

Nike+: 6.27 @ 52:53 (8:26/mile)
Weather: somewhere between 20-22 degrees
This run felt good. Didn't really know what to do when I arrived home since I was looking at another dark trip. Treadmill or outside? There was snow and ice on the edges of the road, but I decided to say f-it and go out into the tundra. I wore tights, the black Zoot shirt, hat, gloves, headlamp and wristband.
Things were quite cold in the beginning, but after a quarter of a mile or so, I warmed up. My face was cold but eventually it got the idea. To help my sense of place and space, I turned down the volume on my iPod. I felt like I wanted to hear what was going on around me - especially since I ran along Stadium for so long.
To my surprise, I saw another runner at about my 4-mile mark along Stadium when I was headed up to Rollins. He was wearing black and no gear to light him up. Quite dangerous in my opinion, but if you're going to die, getting hit by a car is probably a quick and good way to go.
The most dangerous part of the route was running up Stadium to Forum. There was snow and ice under my feet and I did a little slipping and sliding. In some instances, I neared traffic to avoid the mush. It all worked out.
I steadied my pace for most of this journey - kept things under control and didn't push too hard. Really felt good.
On the last 1/2 mile or so, U2 came on my iPod. They played my favorite song from the old days and I couldn't remember the name of it. Does this mean I'm losing my mind? Ok, let me think....I refuse to google it. It'll come to me. And when it does, I'll write its name on this blog.
Bad
"I'm wide awake. I'm not sleeping...."
I just needed to put my mind to it I guess. That was for you, Po.

1 comment:

  1. dido on the slipping and sliding. I ran up the sidewalk on old 63. It was a challenge, but I was up to it!

    ReplyDelete