Sunday, January 18, 2009

Post 10-Miler Summary

I ran somewhere between 10.2 and 10.5 miles yesterday. I intended to meet Jason and Nic at 1 p.m., but due to a hold-up on my end, we postponed the Saturday run until 2 p.m. I wore the black top that Mary gave me and black tights. No hat or gloves. The temperature was about 45 degrees and felt like about 35. Although we didn't notice the wind on the first few miles, it hit us hard and heavy when we turned north on Providence after leaving Green Meadows.
I warmed up quickly on this run - particularly when I hit the Forum hill and trudged upward. I thought seriously about removing my top, but when I hit the Providence pavement at about the 4 mile mark, I changed my mind. The wind cooled me down - considerably. I zipped up my top to keep warm. Along the way, I passed traffic leaving from Mizzou Arena and the basketball game. I moved faster than traffic.
As I came down the Providence hill, I could see Jason and Nic ahead of me. When I reached the bottom, they were running underneath the MU overpass at the top of the hill. I never saw them ahead of me again.
In front of Schnuck's, a guy in a SUV almost pulled in front of me because the driver didn't look to the right before pulling out to make a right. I raised my arms to the side and yelled something that probably included an expletive. I found out later that Nic experienced the same situation in front of Wilson's at about the 2-mile mark. Nic banged on the car's hood.
When I entered the MKT at mile 8, I was low on energy and decided to try the goo pack that Jason gave me. I believe it was made by Cliff Bar. I have never eaten one of these before. It was extremely dense and gooey. I had a difficult time getting it down. I held on to the pack for the rest of the run - about 2 miles - and took little swallows as I finished up.
As I reached the finish line, Jason and Nic awaited my arrival. I slapped both of their hands before stopping at about 1:29. They finished about 10 minutes ahead of me. My Nike+ watch read 10.45 miles which would mean I ran about an 8:32/mile. I am quite pleased w/ my time.
Cardio-wise, I felt pretty good, but my legs definitely hurt. I was glad to stop and rest. This proved to be one of my most challenging runs thus far. Jason said it was one of his best. I couldn't say the same, but am hoping the next long one is a little more comfortable.
After coming home and stretching, I laid on the floor for about 30 minutes. I was tired. I then took a long, hot shower.
Mary and I joined Nic and Tana at Jason and Kristina's house for dinner. They made beef kabob's that were quite tasty. Many ounces of goodness were consumed.
We left at about 1 a.m. and called it a day. It was a very enjoyable afternoon and evening with good friends.

1 comment:

  1. It was a great run yesterday. Next week is a step back week so I have a feeling it'll be a really positive experience for us. This two steps forward one back setup works really well. I'm feeling really good today and by tomorrow I should be back to running again.

    Keep up the good work, Running Deer!!

    ReplyDelete